Late one night, around 10pm, this sudden and unexpected craving for chocolate hit me. I’m not usually a chocolate person (unless it’s white chocolate, which I can’t resist), so I was surprised. I didn’t have any chocolate because like I said, I don’t usually crave it. I did have unsweetened baker’s chocolate on hand though just in case I had the desire to bake one night even though I’m really more of a cook than a baker. I raided around and realized I had the ingredients to whip up some chocolate coffee brownies so I did. I didn’t have a square pan so I just used a 9″ round cake pan but it didn’t matter, they were still awesome!
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 square unsweetened chocolate
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp instant coffee granules
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (any kind. I use mixed nuts)
To Make It:
- Preheat oven to 35o degrees. Melt butter and chocolate in a bowl, stir until smooth. Cool slightly.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg, sugar and coffee granules. Stir in vanilla and chocolate mixture.
- In a separate bowl, combine four and baking powder; gradually stir in to chocolate mixture.
- Spread in to baking pan coated in cooking oil. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges start to pull away from the edges of the pan. Cool and serve.